The bandanna is a fashionable accessory that is currently in trend and is expected to remain popular throughout summer. It is known for its elegance, modernity, and trendiness, and can add a touch of sophistication or style to your outfit.
This article will guide you on how to fold and enhance your appearance with this versatile accessory.
A popular trend nowadays is to wear a bandana around the neck for a casual look, especially when paired with a white or denim shirt. However, there are various ways to wear a bandanna, and not everyone knows how to tie it correctly.
In this article, we will present some of the most popular and interesting ways to wear a bandana.
THE BANDANA HEADBAND
To tie a bandana on your forehead :
- Start by folding it diagonally to make a triangle shape
- Then, fold the bandana over itself about 2 fingers from the widest part
- Continue folding until you reach the tip, creating a strip shape
- Place the bandana on your forehead and tie the ends at the back of your head
- Secure it with a second knot to keep it in place.
THE BANDANA AROUND THE NECK
The square-shaped bandanna with a Kemetic African print, traditionally worn as a cotton scarf, has made a comeback on the international fashion scene, adorning the necks of fashion enthusiasts.
There are various ways to tie the bandanna around the neck, including folding it into a triangle shape, cowboy style, or rolling it up into a thin strip with the knot placed in the front, on the side, or tucked away in the back, depending on personal preference.
How to fold a Bandana in a triangle shape ?
To wear a bandana around your neck :
- First fold it in half diagonally to create a triangle shape
- Then, take the two ends of the longer side of the triangle and drape it around your neck, with the longer side pointing downwards
- Finally, tie the ends together in a knot behind your neck to secure the bandana in place.
THE 90’S STYLE BANDANA
To start, lay your bandana flat on a surface such as a table :
- Fold the bandanna diagonally to create a triangle shape and smooth out the fold to make it neat
- Take hold of the ends of the triangle with both hands to prevent it from slipping
- Position the bandanna on your head where you want it. It's best to place it in the center of your forehead, but you can adjust it higher or lower according to your preference
- Tie the ends of the bandanna together at the back of your head once, making sure it's secure but not too tight. The ends should dangle freely, as you will be tying them again later
- Ensure that the top point of the triangle is at the back of your head, covering your whole skull
- You can either fold the top point of the triangle under the ends at the back of your head, or tuck it in between them
- Once you're happy with the position, tie the ends together again to secure the top point and the whole bandanna in place.
THE BANDANA SCARF
It's not uncommon for the military to have its own guidelines for tying a men's bandana, as in this case it resembles more of a tie than a typical bandanna or handkerchief.
Unlike the traditional square-shaped bandanna, this style is a narrow strip of fabric that resembles a short tie.
To tie it, start by placing the scarf under the collar and adjusting it so that the right end is about two inches longer than the left end :
- Start by placing the bandana under your shirt collar, with the right end (A) about two inches longer than the left end (B)
- Cross A over B right under the V-point of your shirt, then pull A to the left and cross B, forming a loop
- Pull A up through the loop, then tie a square knot (like a lace knot on top of each other), making sure the knot's top is flush with the bottom of the V of your shirt
- Both ends should be of equal length. Don't worry if it doesn't look perfect at first.
There are numerous ways to tie a bandanna.
Bandanas are versatile accessories that can complement various types of tops, such as t-shirts, vests, and especially shirts. They can also look great when paired with denim jackets.
Now that you know how to knot a bandanna, all you need to do is choose one from our African bandana store to elevate your look!